Friday 15 November 2019

Stop Press

I was SO privileged to be featured in this article, back in September, wearing one of my most beloved vintage dresses https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2019/sep/06/grandfather-readers-vintage-clothes-oxfam-fashion and talking with some amazing (and incredibly well-dressed) people about the joys of second hand shopping.


Vintage M and S dress - £5 (RSPCA Charity Shop, Framwellgate Moor, Durham)


I am a complete magpie for a St Michael tag (vintage M and S - they rebranded in the late nineties, so if you find an item of clothing with a St Michael label it's a safe bet that it's at least 20 years old), but this was like no M and S item I'd EVER seen. It really gave me insight into how forward thinking the brand was in its high street heyday (or maybe just how much more diverse high street fashion used to be) - it really does feel like a painting or graffiti in dress form.

I know that I 100% would have broken my charity shopping budget (£5 and under, just FYI) for this dress and I still thank my lucky stars that I didn't have to!

As you can see even from the brief selection in the article, charity shops provide a huge range of different styles to choose from, but they're also a lifeline for people for so many different reasons, not only economic.

No comments:

Post a Comment